Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:59:27 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADSUP: libpthread compat for 5.x and 6.x binaries

One of the changes in FreeBSD 8.0 is the removal of support for the KSE
threading library and its associated system calls.  What this means in
practice is that if one uses a KSE-based libpthread from 5.x or 6.x in a
chroot or jail on an 8.0 system, the binaries will fail with SIGSYS.  For
most (possibly all) binaries, this can be worked around by using libthr
instead libpthread.  FreeBSD 7.0 and later ship with libthr as the threading
library installed as libpthread.

What I would like to find out is if there are any 5.x or 6.x binaries that use
libpthread that do not run well with libthr.  You can test this by using a
libmap.conf(5) file to remap libpthread to libthr.  For 5.x binaries you will
want to remap libpthread.so.1 to libthr.so.1.  For 6.x binaries you will want
to remap libpthread.so.2 to libthr.so.2.  This can be accomplished using
an /etc/libmap.conf file that contains:

<quote file="/etc/libmap.conf">
# Remap 5.x and 6.x libpthread to libthr
libpthread.so.1		libthr.so.1
libpthread.so.2		libthr.so.2
</quote>

To my knowledge, most binaries should work fine in this configuration.  One
binary that I am aware of that does have problems is the 'arcconf' binary
from ports.  However, for this particular case there is a binary for 7.x
available for use on 8.0 systems.

--
John Baldwin