Date:      15 Oct 1999 03:21:03 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: #anchors in .html handbook

 * From: <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org>

Thanks for the explanation....

 * From what I understand from reading the rather dense SGML standard,
 * this means that NAMEs, NAME TOKENs etc are to be mapped to upper-case,
 * but entity names aren't to be.  An anchor target is a NAME (an ID
 * to be precise).

Eek.  So it was the previous behavior that was wrong?  (And may I
(hypothetically) bang the head of the person who wrote that part of
the standard to a really hard wall?  Many times?  HELLO?!?)

 * Now, the HTML 3.2 spec claims that using <a name="XXX"> and <a name="xxx">
 * in the same document is illegal, so one assumes that anchor ids should
 * be treated as case insensitive.  However it also says that the behaviour
 * of user agents when fragment names and anchor names are not case-exact
 * is undefined.

 * Yes, Netscape and Lynx don't seem to work correctly if anchor and
 * fragment names don't match exactly.  However, links within the handbook

I'm not sure if I follow you here, the standard says user agents are
not required to do anything special for non-case-matching names, so
Netscape (the one I tried) is perfectly following the standard.  But
maybe you mean "correctly" in terms of in real life, like getting work
done, as opposed to stiff-necked standards.

This really sucks.  I'm glad I didn't go into the field of
documentation. :<

Satoshi