Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:15:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   "cannot find label (no disk label)"

I have two machines, a fast one and a slow one.  The fast one I keep
fairly current to STABLE, and upgraded it today to the latest source.
All went well.  The slow one, a 486, was running a STABLE from last
October or so, but I used NFS and exported a pre-built world and kernel to
it, and the installworld and installkernel went fine.  I ran mergemaster,
and at the end it said I should run MAKEDEV all because a new MAKEDEV had
been installed, and I did so (I'd done the same on the fast machine, and
had rebooted fine).  When I rebooted the slow one, though, I got:

ad0: ...
ad2: ...
(null): MODE-SENSE-BIG - UNIT ATTENTION asc=29 ascq=00 error=04
acd0: ...
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ad0: cannot find label (no disk label)
ad0s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
Root mount failed: 22

Then the same things repeated twice for wd0 and wd0s1, and it asks me
where it should look for a root filesystem.

I looked around trying to find out what this meant, but the closest I
could find, because I'd read it a week or two ago, was an excerpt from an
IRC log, where Jordan Hubbard helps Dan Langille (of www.freebsddiary.org)
recover from a similar error.  Jordan chastises him for having run MAKEDEV
all, which "rebuilds all the wd* and sd* targets, and those remove all the
*slice* entries by default so that the disk entry list is nice and clean."

What happened to /dev/ad0s1a?  Was I wrong to run MAKDEV all?  Everything
else about the upgrade to today's -STABLE went fine,

I downloaded the three floppies from 4.2-RELEASE, and booted up kern and
mfsroot in order to get to the fixit floppy, but when mfsroot's menu
comes up, my keyboard locks up and I can't do anything!  I've never had
any problems with it before, but now I can't even get to the fixit.  Am I
completely screwed?

Bill