Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:50:05 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Finding unused functions

In the last episode (Jan 02), Joe Shevland said:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
> > It's occurred to me that after rewriting some code, I have some
> > unused functions in a program.  Are there any good automatic ways
> > to find out what they are, something like the warnings you get from
> > cc about unused variables?
>
> 'lint' should do the trick I think. It'll return something like:
>
> doNothing defined( foo.c(8) ), but never used
>
> You'll get a _lot_ more than that though probably :) I haven't used
> lint really, and it looks as though unused variables return a similar
> message; may be a fair bit to sift through.

I don't think the lint libraries are built on FreeBSD though.

What I usually do is always make my functions static; that way gcc will
complain if they're not referenced.  This only works on one-file
programs though.  You could probably do some "nm" parsing on your
object files; complain if there are any functions with a 'T' line but
no 'U' lines.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com