Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:53:17 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: About options kernel

In the last episode (Dec 06), budsz said:
> Hi,
>
> Last night I tried FreeBSD 5.0-DP1, but I found some error message:
>
> $ dmegs | more
>
> <cut>
> unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
> unknown: <PNP0a03> can't assign resources (port)
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
> unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
> unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources (port)
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
> </cut>
>
> I tried to find options in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/SOME-CONFIG, So what
> options/device should I remove?.

Those are motherboard resources that another driver has already grabbed
(either by being told via a hint, or some other discovery method).
PNP0303, for example is the keyboard, PNP0A03 is the PCI bus, etc.

http://members.hyperlink.net.au/~chart/download/pnpid.txt  has a pretty
comprehensive list of PNP IDs and what hardware they correspond to.

You can safely ignore those messages, or if you are adventurous, look
up the IDs and remove any static hints for those devices.  That should
let the kernel use the PNP table to find them.  Keep an emergency
kernel handy (or if you're commenting out hints, print out the file so
you can manually enter the hints in the loader), since if you remove
the wrong hints, you risk ending up with a system that has no keyboard :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com