Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:51:27 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.1 i386 CD #1 image size not compatible with intended medium standard size

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 12:27:28 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> Due to a system where I can only boot from CD, I downloaded the
> FreeBSD 12.1 CD image (disc1.iso). It was not possible to record
> this in a standard way to a 700 MB (not 650 MB) blank CD medium
> (here: Platinum 700 MB / 80 min).

	That seems to be an oops, disc1 and disc2 were always supposed to
be for use on CDs. There's always -bootonly but that has to download the
distribution files which may be a problem - if not that's the way to go for
now.

> When will FreeBSD supply a CD image file that can actually be
> used with normal CD media again without requiring a workaround
> and possibly breaking the result?

	Shortly after someone figures out how to and submits an acceptable
patch - you may be the first to have been inconvenienced by this, it's been
a long time since I used a CD.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>