Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:22:06 -0700
From:      "Mr. Kasey A. Hohenbrink" <kasey@HoHenBrink.NET>
To:        Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Solution for: natd[130]: failed to write packet back  (Permission denied)]

All,

This problem seems to be due to the firewall rules I have
defined for the natted interface.  I've run natd in
verbose mode and saw that it only gave me the "failed.."
message when natd tried to write a deniable packet back
into the stream.

In my case, DNS was resolving a 10.0.0.0 address for a box
I was trying to reach and the packets were denying as they
should have.  This is possibly a bug since natd and ipfw
should write the packet info in the logging rather than
just the "failed..." message.

If you can't connect to an outside machine, then you need
to really work on your ipfw rules for the natd interface.
The packets that cause the error message are the in/out
translated packets on the natted interface.

To run natd in verbose mode, boot your machine, ps and
kill natd, then relaunch it adding the -verbose switch.
It should start writing the translations on the terminal
and the deny messages should show also.  (if you try
capturing it to a file, remember that the deny messages
are from syslogd not the natd process.  verbose mode
only shows the translations, not the errors.  Just copy
and paste from the terminal window.)

Don't forget to re-read the man page for natd!!   ;>)

Kasey A. Hohenbrink
Systems & Network Manager, AmberNetworks