Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:21:22 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
To:        Charles Peters - Tech Support <support@tecpro.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS -vs- Samba

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 12:22:14AM -0400, Charles Peters - Tech Support
wrote:

> Hello Yall!
>
> Can anyone point me to a good explination on the differences in NFS
> and Samba.
>
> As I understand it, NFS allows unix clients to connect to a
> centralized set of files on the NFS server.  Also, the NFS can be a
> client to another NFS server.

You can also do NFS with Windows but it is generally discouraged.

> Samba only allows users to connect to its shares as if they were a NT
> Server.  A Samba share can only be a network server, not a network
> client.

There is a program called smbclient that is part of the samba suite. It
lets you connect to any share. It has an ftp type interface. There is
also someone working on an smbmount for FreeBSD (already exists for
Linux) that will let you mount Windows shares on your FreeBSD box.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@bayouhome.net