Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:29:43 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IPFW, natd, and one big headache

Ok, I'm ready to lose it here.

I finally have a firewall that doesn't appear to close anything off,
and I know it opens those things I want opened, like outgoing ping,
traceroute, incoming HTTP, HTTPS, IMAP, SMTP, etc.   I take the script
and source it one everything is up and dhclient is set, and it's all
good.

But that's only if I start up with an open firewall.  Anything else
and I never get the dhcp lease handled.  I see it on the startup
screen, but it fails.  I get a TIMEOUT or MEDIUM from
dhclient-exit-hooks in the dhclient.debug log.  According to the
dhclient-script manpage, I'm supposed to set a medium type for the
interface in $interface to the medium type in $medium.  Unfortunately,
I haven't a clue what this means.  When the process works, the medium
type on my dhcp interface is set to Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP).

Is there something I should do to set this beforehand?  Does it
matter?

Anyway, I am also seeing, even with this firewall that I know enables
outbound ping, a ping attempt to the dhcp server that fails with a
permission failure.

And Natd.  All I get out of that is
Oct 10 21:08:31 acadia natd[396]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)
in the console log.

I have the following in /etc/rc.conf:
natd_program="/sbin/natd"
natd_interface="xl0"
natd_enable=YES
natd_flags="-unregistered_only -use_sockets -same_ports"

and I have also tried using natd flags set instead to '-f /etc/natd.conf'
which has:

dynamic         yes
log             no
deny_incoming   no
use_sockets     yes
same_ports      yes
verbose         no
interface       xl0
unregistered_only       no

And the internal machines can see the gateway, and visa versa, the
gateway may see the outside world, but the internals don't see out.

ps -ax | grep natd shows:
396  ??  Is     0:00.28 /sbin/natd -unregistered_only -use_sockets -same_port

I know this is a lot of questions, and I know this has been discussed
here before, but I'm lost.  I've read several of the online resources,
and I think I'm following things correctly, but there's some stupid
thing I keep missing.  Even the very clear cheat sheets at
http://www.mostgraveconcern/freebsd/ didn't get me thru it.  I used
the examples exactly, and I do have all the IPF options in my kernel:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10
options         IPDIVERT

Someone please toss me a clue.

TIA
Lou