Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:59:43 -0500
From:      Dan Pelleg <peldan@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        chrise@scardini.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/33975: Update port: net/unison to 2.7.7

Maintainer note: I didn't go to 2.7.7 because in my opinion the incremental
change from 2.7.1 was not significant. Communicating with the PR submitter,
I understand the issue with 2.7.7 is that he's synching with a 2.7.7 client
on a Linux machine and the only pre-packaged version for that platform is
2.7.7.

Note: The Unison dev team does not yet bother to provide protocol
compatibility between different versions. This means you need to have all of
your unison clients in sync. Therefore what we are really trying to solve
here is an application bug. Until the developers address this issue, there
will always be users that will want the port to be some particular version
because it matches the other versions in their environment. We clearly can't
satisfy them all.

Furthermore, unison 2.7.39 is currently in beta. From a user report and
mailing-list traffic I conclude it is stable and will be released before
long. I plan to then upgrade the port to 2.7.39.

I don't know if the Debian team will move to 2.7.39 more quickly or slowly
than we will. Note that the problem of this particular user will only be
solved as long as the Debian and FreeBSD ports of unison are kept in sync.
This also goes for us going to 2.7.7 and then them, for example, upgrading
to 2.7.39. As far as I'm aware there is no RPM yet.

In summary, I have no objection to the 2.7.7 upgrade in itself. But it is
my plan to move to 2.7.39 fairly soon. It will require coordinating with
the ocaml maintainer so that that port is upgraded to 3.04 together with
unison to 2.7.39. This seems like a technical detail - I know 2.7.39
compiles on ocaml 3.04 (but not on 3.02 - current port version).