Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:49:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wyatt Banks <banksw@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: to MAKEDEV or not to MAKEDEV, that is my question

* Wyatt Banks                                *
* banksw@cs.sunyit.edu                       *
* SUNY Institute of Technology at Utica/Rome *
* Utica, NY 13502                            *
> > when to use makedev and what argument to pass it.  Is there an official
> > guide that shows me exactly when I add an X to my system, that I need to
> > makedev Y and makedev Z?
>
> If that hardware uses devices, and when you try and access the
> hardware the devices for it don't exist, you need to MAKEDEV them.
>
> That's really about as difficult as it gets.
>
> Kris

so you obviously agree with me then.  "If the hardware uses devices" is
quite ambiguous.  I agree with you 100%.