Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:09:58 -0400
From:      Gerald Freymann <gerry@interpool.ca>
To:        mgreene@aci.on.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple CPUs...verifying

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:27:13 -0400
"Marco Greene (Home)" <mgreene@aci.on.ca> wrote:

|O|>Does FreeBSD autodetect multiple CPU's or do you specifically have to
|O|>configure the kernel and recompile?

 In my experiences with FreeBSD 4-4.8R, you have to uncomment two lines in
the kernel config file.

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

 and then rebuildworld and kernel.

 World because there are programs that will compile differently if there
are multiple CPU's (at least I think that's right!)

 Kernel for obvious reason.

|O|>outline in the handbook.  However, when I try to boot with the new
|O|>kernel...it doesn't work.

 I think you're going to have to give more information than "it doesn't
work" if you expect anybody to attempt to offer advice.

|O|>Also, how do you verify whether or not both CPUs have been configured
|O|>in the kernel...and that they are in fact being used?

 type:   dmesg |more

 and look through the results. When my dual-cpu loads up, I see where
there 2nd CPU is acknowledged. Even doing a 'top' shows me which CPU is in
use for each program.

 Scary Gerry -- Senior Systems Manager
 freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu
 -For web-hosting, Perl, PHP & MySql