Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:52:30 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
Cc:        Marc Rassbach <marc@milestonerdl.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com> wrote:

>  Yes however I will bet even money that if I put a seperate power supply on
> every friggen drive and still have the same problem someones gonna say..  I b
> et
> one of Those supplys was bad..  Can folks try, just try to imagine that they
> "could" be wrong and come up with some other reason?  Do I honestly have to
> Prove it wrong in some scientific way before you are willing to imagine some
> other possibility?  Jeeze. Some time I or someone else will have a chance to
> test the theory, but for now that is all it is. One thoery.

     OK, let's look at the other possibilities:

1. Non-3ware hardware problem (bad motherboard, RAM, etc.).

   Very unlikely, as this problem happens on "multiple systems".

2. Bad batch of 3ware boards.

   Unlikely, but a very small sliver of a possibility.

3. 3ware hardware bug.

   If so, you're screwed.  There's probably nothing you can do about it.

4. 3ware firmware problem.

   If so, you're probably screwed.  At the very least, you'll probably
   have to wait some unknown, probably long, period of time for a
   firmware update.

5. FreeBSD problem.

   Not very likely, but a possibility.  Other people seem to be having
   success with 3ware and high loads.  I have not seen anyone mention
   using an 8-drive setup, though (I get to do this in a few weeks,
   although the system won't generally be under high load).

   Unless you're conversant with FreeBSD disk driver debugging, you're
   at the mercy of the FreeBSD driver developer (yes, I know who it is),
   whom you may have unintentionally pissed off beyond redemption.  At
   the very least, in order to fix any problems, he'd have to reproduce
   your problems.

   [ Note: as another person has mentioned, you're coming across as a
     real hard case (even before your recent messages).  I'm sure it's
     unintentional, but you've got to be aware of this.  If you want
     help, you don't want to (unintentionally) piss off the people who
     might be able to help you.  Please note that many of the people
     here are anal-retentive analytics who need data, data, and more
     DATA (yes, I'll raise my hand ;-).  You haven't given much details,
     and, for much of the details which you have given, you've given as
     part of "snippy"/"unintentionally insulting" responses or
     maddeningly dribbled them out across many postings.  ]

6. Large noise sources near your systems.

   Unlikely, as you haven't mentioned any special situations (like
   having an arc welder, large motor, or transmitter near your systems).

7. Bad line power.

   Unlikely (well, unknown, as you haven't given any details), but, as
   Borja mentioned, a bad UPS can really screw you over.

8. Power supply problem.

   Unknown.  Seems pretty likely, but you're also seeing this problem
   across multiple systems, which can imply that it's not a power supply
   problem -- however, you haven't said that any of the other systems
   have large, beefy power supplies.

   This is one of the few things that you can test and control.

Well, the above are the possibilities as I see them.  It's your choice.
What do you want to do?

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com