Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:38:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Do you have some neat configuration files?

Jordan and I have just been discussing adding some contributed
configuration files to the distribution CD-ROMs.  I'm primarily
thinking of .<foo>rc scripts for editors, mail readers, window
managers and such.

The background is the second edition of "The Complete FreeBSD", in
which I'm trying to improve the introduction to FreeBSD for people
who've never used UNIX before (or even for those who've used a
different version).  In the course of doing this, I'm describing a
usable setup, which uses various configuration files which are, of
course, derived from what I run on my own system.  In order to make
things easier for the user, I'm putting them on the CD-ROM, so anybody
who wants to use this version can just load the stuff from CD-ROM and
have a relatively functional system.

One size doesn't fit all, of course, and there's a good chance that
there are other versions out there which many (even most) people will
prefer.  So why not supply them too?  If you have anything that you
feel is worth sharing, please let me know.  About the only thing I ask
is that the files don't contain too much dead wood (I know mine do :-)

I haven't decided on a structure for storing these files yet, though
Jordan has suggested a top-level directory /usr/share/skel/extras.
I'd suggest one subdirectory for each unrelated set of config files.
Any other suggestions?

Greg