Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:43:11 -0600
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Edward_Tomasz_Napiera=C5=82a?= <trasz@freebsd.org>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Edward_Tomasz_?= =?UTF-8?Q?Napiera=C5=82a?= <etnapierala@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 iSCSI Target Windows 8.1 Initiator

On 01/20/2014 5:43 pm, Edward Tomasz Napierała wrote:
> Wiadomość napisana przez dweimer w dniu 20 sty 2014, o godz. 21:20:
>
>> I have a FreeBSD 10 server setup, with a 300G iSCSI target backed by a
>> zVOL device.  With a windows 8.1 Workstation as the initiator
>> connected to it.  I am trying to use it to store VMware Workstation
>> Virtual Machines.  However I am having all kinds of crashes of Virtual
>> Machines and file corruption with it.  I have found these errors on
>> the Server, I setup a Virtual Machine on the workstations local disk,
>> and have had no problems.
>>
>> Jan 20 13:19:47 webmail kernel: (0:2:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 01 b1 00
>> ff 00
>> Jan 20 13:19:47 webmail kernel: (0:2:0:0): Tag: 0xdf020000, Type: 0
>> Jan 20 13:19:47 webmail kernel: (0:2:0:0): CTL Status: SCSI Error
>> Jan 20 13:19:47 webmail kernel: (0:2:0:0): SCSI Status: Check
>> Condition
>> Jan 20 13:19:47 webmail kernel: (0:2:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST
>> asc:24,0 (Invalid field in CDB)
>> Jan 20 13:19:47 webmail kernel: (0:2:0:0): Command byte 2 is invalid
>
> This is normal.  It's basically that CTL doesn't implement some
> optional
> SCSI stuff.
>
>> I am fairly new to using iSCSI on FreeBSD as a target I have ran it as
>> initiator connecting to our Lefthand Networks SAN at work, but of
>> course that was with the older iSCSI prior to 10.  I am kind of
>> clueless on how to go about trouble shooting this issue.  Perhaps I
>> did something stupid when I setup the configuration, which is shown
>> below.
>
> First, can you take a look at logs at both sides?  Is there anything
> unusual?
The windows logs didn't show any errors.

> Second, could you try to remove "blocksize 4k"?  I've seen some strange
> behaviour with 4k blocks under ESX.
Dropping this line, at least initially seems to be working, I was unable
to even complete a fresh FreeBSD 10 install on a vm, currently
downloading both ports and source via svn on a new install after
dropping that.  Once I complete a build and get software installed I
will know better if it has truely resolved the issue.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer