Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:13:22 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux-gtk and Loki demos

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:29:24AM -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:
> I'm not sure what list this should be on, but I hope the people on here
> have tried this before (and succeded).
>
> Has anybody managed to get demos from Loki that require OpenGL support
> working in FreeBSD?  Basically this requires the glx extention working
> under Linux emulation and with your X server.

On http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~eanholt/dri/ there are some pointers
on doing this.

> I've tried installing the linux_glx port and am running FreeBSD 4.1.0
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that FreeBSD 4.1 or XFree86 4.1.0 ?

> on a Matrox G200 with the Matrox HAL libraries.  3D acceleration works
> on FreeBSD native applications, but any time I try to start a linux
> program that uses glx it crashes the X server (with no helpful messages
> either!).

AFAIK, the linux_glx port is meant for Utah-glx, which works in
XFree86 3.3.6 only.

> Has anybody managed to get those Loki demos working.  If so, how?
> Thanks.

At the moment I'm still using Voodoo2, which does not require DRI nor
Utah-glx. But I hope to find time soon to try my G400 again with
Loki games. I had Quake3 running with this card in XFree86-4.0.1, and
it runs quite nice :-).

Karel.