Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:24:26 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Cesar Mello <cmello@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xircom Realport ethernet on FreeBSD 5.3

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:57:22AM -0300, Cesar Mello wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed a FreeBSD 5.3 in my Portege 300CT, with a Xircom
> Realport Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56 card.
>
> Please tell me where I can find information about this. What must I do
> to make this card work? Do I need to compile a new kernel, or the
> default one should work?
>
> The steps I've taken so far were:
> - Added the line pccard_enable="YES" to rc.conf;
> - Removed IRQ 5 (used by my sound card) from defaults/pccard.conf.
>
> pccard and xe drivers don't load.
>
> Thank you a lot for the attention.

Hi Cesar,

I don't know the 300CT - is this an older model with 16-bit PCMCIA (ie. not
CardBus) slots?  If so, it might not work with the NEWCARD drivers that are
the default in 5.3.  The OLDCARD framework is still supported but not in
the GENERIC kernel - you will need to build a new kernel from the OLDCARD
config file (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/OLDCARD).

The RealPort card itself is definitely supported by the xe driver, so if we
can get your system to recognise the card it should work just fine.

Could you post a copy of /var/run/dmesg.boot from your machine to the list?
We can check if there are any PCCARD drivers being loaded and whether it's
worthwhile trying the OLDCARD kernel.

Cheers,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon