Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:42:47 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS setup problem, "Can't find server name"

>I'm setting up a new DNS server for the first time in 4 years and running
>into a problem.  It's a 3.2 system, using the named.conf and associated
>files from a older server.  It starts up cleanly, no messages in the log
>files.  But when I try an nslookup, it waits a while and gives me this
>message:
>
>*** Can't find server name for address 207.239.68.71: Timed out
>*** Default servers are not available

You need an in-addr.arpa entry for the server.  This is a bizarre
error mode of nslookup that I really don't understand the need
for.  If nslookup is unable to resolve the IP address of the server
it is querying back to a name, rather than just forge on using numbers
it will give up and refuse to work.  See p. 67 of the cricket book
(3rd ed.) for details.

-Mitch