Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2006 06:11:45 -0600
From:      Lane <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMware Workstation does not run on 2.0.x SMP Linux kernels. Please update to a 2.2.x or later SMP Linux kernel

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 01:21, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Lane <lane@joeandlane.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've recently installed emulators/vmware3, purchased a linux license on
> > ebay, and ran into this message:
> >
> > VMware Workstation does not run on 2.0.x SMP Linux kernels.  Please
> > update to a 2.2.x or later SMP Linux kernel
>
> What is the output of  'sysctl compat.linux.osrelase'?
>
> It shoud give you 2.4.2.
>
> See the following post from a user who had the same problem:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2003-July/000103.html
>
> Make sure your not setting compat.linux.osrelease in your /etc/sysctl.conf
> file.
>
> Scot
Scot,

Thanks for the link.

I tried the suggestion (sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.18) in both 5.4 and
6.1 but did not resolve the message.

I note that the porter notes at http://www.break.net/orlando/freebsd.html

"VMware 3.2.x Support
 The support for VMware 3.2.x is currently available through the FreeBSD Ports
 system.

 Please, note that SMP support for FreeBSD 5 has been removed, and it will be
 replaced soon."

It appears he was working on porting 4.5 back in January, but had not yet done
the SMP part because he didn't have an SMP machine.  It stands to reason that
he never got around to retro-fitting vmware3 for SMP in 5+.

I've sent email to the original poster from the link you sent.  Maybe he'll
have some information.

Thanks again,

lane