Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:01:01 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=F6m?= <freebsd-questions@pp.dyndns.biz>
Subject:   Re: Other browsers show the same behaviour (Firefox crashes on	yahoo.com)

Manish Jain wrote:
> The problem is not restricted to firefox or yahoo.com. There are other
> sites too where this happens. I built Galeon from ports, and it shows
> exactly the same behaviour as firefox2/firefox3 for those sites. So does
> Epiphany (installed from the distribution media).
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> This seems to be a strange problem with Firefox which I never
>> encountered on my old system. Both Firefox2 and Firefox3 work well the
>> other sites I have tried accessing, but crash on navigating to
>> www.yahoo.com
>>
>>> /usr/home/emmjanex # firefox3 http://www.yahoo.com &
>>> [1] 2668
>>> /usr/home/emmjanex # NP_Initialize
>>> New
>>> SetWindow
>>> SetWindow
>>> NewStream
>>> WriteReady
>>> Write
>>> decoding...
>>> The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
>>> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
>>> The error was 'BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)'.
>>>   (Details: serial 31 error_code 17 request_code 140 minor_code 5)
>>>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>>>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>>>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>>>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>>>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
>>> function.)
>>>
>>> [1]+  Exit 1                  firefox3 http://www.yahoo.com
>>

>> There is nothing relevant to the crash in Xorg.0.log or console.log

I'm not using X at all on my FreeBSD machines so I don't know if this is
related. We had a similar problem in Gentoo lately where Firefox simply
segfaulted on certain webpages. It was tracked down to librsvg and there
is a temporary patch for 2.22-2.26:
http://mirrors.evolva.ro/gentoo-portage/gnome-base/librsvg/files/librsvg-2.22.3-fix-segfault-with-firefox.patch
As I said, I don't know if this relates to FreeBSD in any way but to a
layman like myself it seems plausible since it's the same applications
involved and I can't see that there is a patch for this in Ports. Some
developer probably can make more sense out of this than I but I though
it was worth mentioning.

Regards
Morgan