Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:08:39 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help

Hi William,

You will get a quicker response if you use a more descriptive subject.
Many people will only have time to look at "interesting" problems, and
the single word "help" is a surefire way of getting ignored...

Also, don't send mail with html and images in it - plain text is the
way forward!

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:56:43PM -0500, Bill Olson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an 80GIG Samsung Hard Drive and to use the drive in my Compaq, I have
> to use overlay software to recognize the 80 gig in there. Without the
> overlay software, It only recognizes 32GIG.
>
> I am trying to install Freebsd (Latest downloadable off your web site) and
> am running into an error when running the FDISK command. What I do is Turn
> the PC on, it loads the Overlay software, and then it asks for the disk and
> I put it in. When getting to the FDISK commands, thats when I get the
> following error:
>
> chunk 'ad2s1' [-63..156360644] does not start on a track boundary

The problem is that the first partition, as far as fdisk can determine,
starts on the -63rd sector of the disk.  Which don't exist!
Is this the only disk you have in the box?  I guess NOT, given the device
named in the error message...  If it is not the primary disk, you can
safely delete all the current partitions and start again.

If it is the primary disk in the machine, then it sounds like you will need
to create a new BIOS partition (the first part of the first disk in Compaqs
is reserved for the BIOS, usually in the region of 36MB.  You can get updated
BIOS images from compaq.com)

Rebuild the BIOS, and try again.

Incidentally, do you have any other OS installed on the box atm?  Does it
boot?

> Here is my info for FDISK before I removed the fat partitian and I think
> this is what I am doing wrong. If I remove fat, The overlay software is on
> the fat partitian.
>
> OFFSET        SIZE                END                PTYPE        DESC
> SUBTYPE
> -63                 126                  62                    6
> unused         0
> 63                  156360582     156360644       2                  fat
> 12
> 156360645    7308                156367952      6                  unused
> 0
>
> I am also using the Bootstrap loader 0.8 and FreeBSD 4.5 Release 2
>
> I tried to make them as even as I can so no matter what email program you
> are using, I hope that helps. Any chance you can help me with this issue? If
> you want to call me, My number is (207) 729-2623 x 401
>
> Thank you for all your time,
> William Olson
> FreeBSD user

Cheers,