Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 17:02:27 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to restore from a tape using tar?

I have a computer running FreeBSD 3.4 with a scsi hard drive, cd and tape
drive.  I recently attempted to run a backup of the system with the command:

tar -cvf  /dev/st0   /

which should've backed up the entire system.  I was able to run:

tar  -tf  /dev/st0  >  /FullBackupTOC.txt

and successfully created a table of contents for the tape.

I now want to test whether I can properly restore files from this tape but
I want to restore them to a different location than they were (so that I
don't accidentally erase anything).  I'm not sure what the syntax for tar
would be to accomplish this.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,

Oscar