Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:12:30 +0100
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        Markus Brueffer <markus@brueffer.de>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad Fan Control (acpi_ibm)

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 10:43:16AM +0100, Matthias Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Markus Brueffer wrote:
> >
> > I have committed the patch to -CURRENT. I'll MFC it in about one week if
> > nothing goes wrong.
>
> Thanks for your work.  I've applied the patch to a 6.0-REL system
> running on a Thinkpad T43 and the fan control works great :)

Dito on my T43p with 6.0-STABLE. Thanks a lot! One question though:
Why is the default set to manual/fullspeed instead of automatically?
Provided that without the patch, the behaviour would be equal to
automatic mode, this breaks POLA and people might complain, or worse,
send their thinkpads to Lenovo for repair, since they don't know
why the fan is now constantly on full speed.

And of course, my next step will now be coming up with a reasonable
way of making sure that I don't fry my notebook. Some integration into
powerd comes to mind. Of course this would not be necessary if Lenovo
had used a reasonable default stepping in the automatic mode in the
first place.

Thanks, Tobias