Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:28:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, aard.nerd@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: 64-bits platform question

Aard Nerd wrote:
 > Hi list, as far as I know Intel 64 architecture (formerly known as Intel
 > Extended Memory 64 Technology, or Intel EM64T)

Why formerly?  As far as I know, intel's implementation
of the AMD64 extension is _still_ called EM64T.  Do not
confuse it with IA64 which is something completely
different.

 > So I bought an ASUS P4P800-VM with a
 > 3.0GHz processor that supports Intel EM64T and 1Gb of Infineon PC3200 RAM
 > memory. The system is ok...so why I can't install BSD 64 bits with my system
 > ???

First, this is the wrong list.  Your question should
rather be asked on the freebsd-questions mailing list.

Second, we cannot help you because your message contains
zero details.  What exactly did you try to do (i.e which
ISO did you download, exactly)?  And what was the result
when you tried to boot it?  Did it hang, freeze, crash,
print any error messages?  And at what point during the
installation did the problem occur?

Without any details, our answer can only be as exact as
your question.  I.e. when simply asking "Why can't I
install", then the answer is simply "Because you did
something wrong".

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell