Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:55:08 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Edward Ing <inge@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP on LAN drops after a few minutes.

[Format recovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Monday, 15 March 1999 at 18:27:42 -0500, Edward Ing wrote:
> On Sunday, February 28, 1999 5:44 PM, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 15 March 1999 at  9:17:18 -0500, Edward Ing wrote:
>>> I have a ethernet lan network with a FreeBSD machine and a dual boot
>>> window98/windowsNT workstation machine. The FreeBSD machine has two NICs,
>>> one on the LAN and one on cable modem on the internet.
>>>
>>> Whenever I first boot the FreeBSD machine the TCP/IP is working
>>> fine. But after several miniutes the TCP/IP drops. If I reboot
>>> FreeBSD, everthing work again for five minutes.
>>
>> What do you mean by "drops"?  What are the symptoms?  What version of
>> FreeBSD?  Please describe what you observe.
>
> Version: FreeBSD 2.2.8. Using a DEC203 (Etherworks3) card. (le0 device).
> Running on a VESA bus 486 with 32M of ram and scsi disks. The network card
> is ISA.
> I configured FreeBSD to have 2 NICs. One to the Internet and one to my
> private (non-registered ip) with ip forwarding turned off. I also ensure
> that only TCP/IP was running on the Windows Machines.(i.e. no windows
> networking).
>
> The TCP/IP communications stops working at about 5 minutes every time after
> the FreeBSD machine is booted and rebooted. If I try to ftp or ping the
> FreeBSD box from WindowsNT or Window98 ping fails (times out) and ftp fails.
> From the FreeBSD side if I start pinging the Windows machine and let it
> continue right after I reboot, ping is okay at first but within 5 minutes
> the pinging will fail and a message will say something to the effect that
> "There is no buffer space available" everytime it tries to ping.
>
> If I start pinging after a period after reboot when I know the TCP/IP is
> down ping will tell me that there is a timeout.
>
> I am pretty sure the problem is on FreeBSD for the following reasons, if I
> try WindowsNT or Windows95, I have the problem. Using the same network card
> with Linux as the server rather that FreeBSD, I have no problem. If I swap
> the DEC 203 with another DEC 203 on FreeBSD, I still get the problem. But
> now I have swapped out the DEC and replaced it with a SMC adapter (ed0) and
> I have no problems.

OK, this is rather pointing towards the DEC board, or the FreeBSD le0
driver.

The next thing would be to query the PR database.  There I see:

> Number:         4292
> Category:       kern
> Synopsis:       le0 (DE203) goes OACTIVE after some time
> Confidential:   no
> Severity:       serious
> Date-Required:
> Submitter-Id:   current-users
> Arrival-Date:   Wed Aug 13 03:10:01 PDT 1997
> Closed-Date:
> Last-Modified:  Sun Oct 12 06:57:35 PDT 1997
> Originator:     Olaf Erb
> Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE i386

Looking in more detail,

> le0 goes OACTIVE after some time, errors like "no buffer space
> available" occur. Only downing/deleting and re-configuring the interface
> brings it back, for some packets though, then it hangs again. The problem
> mainly appears while acting as bootp/tftp server, after some < 100kB of data
> transfered.
> Have a look at
> f [1995/07/04] kern/587            if_le hangs on OACTIVE with 2k buffer
> too.
>

>> How-To-Repeat:
>
> use a DE203 with msize 2048 and serve bootp/tftp/nfs over it, or just
> large transfers over some time.
>
>> Fix:
>
> switched the card with nicsetup.exe to 32768 bytes msize. This isn't
> recognised by the driver, because msize is hardcoded there to 2048.
>
> A quick change in if_le.c to 32768 (lemac_probe()) solved this problem,
> but this is no real fix.
> Hardcoded value should be replaced by using the probed msize, if it's
> possible (this info should be in eeprom, though I don't know how to figure
> it out).
>
> This doesn't solve the problem. It just avoids it. I wish I know
> enough about FreeBSD to poke around an figure out what is going on.

Yup, it looks as if this problem hasn't really been solved.  I'd
suggest you put in a new PR, referring to this one, and maybe somebody
will fix it this time.

Greg