Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:58:20 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linking directories

> i have racked my brains out over this...i want to make a link to a
> directory and i don't know how to do it.
>
> i have read the link manpage and i am not getting it.
>
> i want to make a link to /usr/local/www/ What is the syntax to go about
> doing this?
>
> Am i using the right command (ln,link)?

You want to use a symbolic link.  Assuming you want to be able to refer
to /usr/local/www as, say, /www you would use:

	ln -s /usr/local/www /www

Note that a symbolic link just makes an entry that means "if they type
the second name, substitute the first name" so if you make a typo, for
example, ln won't complain.  Make sure you test what you do.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319