Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:38:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   makeworld problems

hi all, I'm attempting to update to the (current) stable release of
FreeBSD.  So I used CVSup to get the stable ports tree, followed the
instructions in the handbook for doing a make world, and came up with
several problems.

The first time I tried to do this, I dropped to single-user mode, typed
"make buildworld" and let the machine run through this.  Then I typed a
"make installworld" and came up with several error messages.  About a
screens worth of "files not found" flashed by, and then it appeared to
compile things sucessfully, for a few minutes.  Then I believe I'm missing
a few shared libraries as well, because the make stopped with a few error
messages (saying, in a nutshell, "shared library does not exist").  My
suspicion is that, for whatever reason, these libraries did not compile
correctly, that's why i got the error.

So I tried this over again, again dropping down to single-user mode and
running a make buildworld.  It seemed to run fine for about 5 hours or so,
then mysteriously rebooted.

I am wondering if I have some sort of hardware issue with the machine or
something?  Perhaps I don't have enough ram (my machine's a P133 with only
8megs).  I've run into lots of make install problems before with this, and
am going to invest in more ram ASAP.  But it seems kind of odd, since I'm
not running X or anything when I do a make buildworld.  Perhaps FreeBSD's
a lot tougher on my hardware than I thought.

Thanks in advance for you help!

--Alissa
runnning 2.2.7, trying to update to the latest stable release