Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 04:21:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Socket 7 motherboards

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > 	We're planning to build a whole new FreeBSD machine using either a
> > AMD K6 or Pentium MMX CPU with 128 megs of memory.  Since Intel 430HX
> > motherboards are hard to find and our only choice from Intel is the 430TX
> > which doesn't cache above 64meg, how good are the VIA chipset based
> > motherboards and do they work well with FreeBSD?  Thanks.
>
> The German c't magazine recently tested a number of motherboards with
> non-Intel chipsets.  Their results: the best are Ali Aladdin, then
> SiS, then Via.  In particular, they weren't impressed with the Via
> VP3, though they found the newest version, the MVP3, to be OK.  See
> the issue 5/1998 for more details.

	Hmmm, what's the difference between the VIA Apollo, VP2, and Vp3
chipsets?  It seems like in Hawaii, only the Intel TX and Via Apollo based
boards are available.

> I've just bought a "Rise Mustang R581A" motherboard
> (http://www.rise.com.tw/r581a.htm), which includes an SiS 5591/5595
> chipset.  The specs look good--I'll report once I get round to
> installing it if anybody is interested.

	Cool, thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]