Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:23:33 -0800
From:      David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   if_bridge FreeBSD 6.0 on a Broadcom interface not working

To whom it may concern.

I've been using qemu with the vde port [until recently, the qemu port is to=
far ahead of the vde one now] on an x86 machine with FreeBSD 6 and using
if_bridge to connect the tap0 interface with xl0 with great success.

I tried to duplicate this configuration on a dual opteron machine that has
Broadcom adapters and when I add the bge0 or bge1 interfaces to the bridge0
iface that I create I lose all connectivity.  The moment I destroy the
bridge0 interface, bge0 or bge1 as it may be begins responding again.

I'm all for not supporting Broadcom here... I don't care for their business
practices so much and will likely get another network card to work around
this problem.

I just thought I'd bring it up since I think if_bridge is really excellent
otherwise!

If you want/need more information I'll be glad to provide.

Dave Leimbach