Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/13194: Bad info in handbook/kernelconfig

The following reply was made to PR docs/13194; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: Robert Garrett <eagle@phc.igs.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:16:22 +0200

 Hi Robert,

 Your text probably does more harm than good, and you're putting it in
 the wrong place. I would suggest that text like this would feel more
 comfortable under the "Why Build a Custom Kernel?" section.

 I'd just explain that recompiling the kernel does not upgrade FreeBSD,
 and see the section called "The Cutting Edge: FreeBSD-current and
 FreeBSD-stable" for more details on how to upgrade.

 Don't mention upgrading with sysinstall, because you usually run into
 problems if you try to upgrade to a later release using an installed
 copy of sysinstall.

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.