Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:19:48 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@bricsnet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE, Bell sympatico in Toronto

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:

> Has anyone managed to successfully get FreeBSD4.0-STABLE to work with Bell
> Sympatico's PPPoE crap?

	There is a page written by a FreeBSD user of Sympatico using PPPoE
at the following:

http://sympaticousers.org/faq/freebsd_howto.htm

This page is mostly good, except for a couple of things:

1. As of 4.0-RELEASE, at least, NETGRAPH_.* options are no longer
necessary, as netgraph can load its own modules.

2. Either "ddial" or "auto" is a better ppp_mode than "background".
Same with the manual command line.

3. If you need -nat, add -nat to the command line

	Hope this helps!

	A question for PPPoE and Static IP ADSL users out there, does your
download speeds slow down to a crawl when you are uploading at the same
time as downloading?  Since atleast with PacBell ADSL, it seems that
if I am downloading only, I get between 170-200k/sec but when I upload,
the upload goes at 16k/sec and the download goes down to 30k/sec.  This is
on a 384k-1.5Mbps down/128k up ADSL.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin