Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:49:13 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        dg@root.com, Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        river <river@theriver.nu>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0: device timeout

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 04:19:02AM -0700, David Greenman wrote:
> >oops... I've never bothered to check this. Here's the report from
> >ifconfig:
> >
> >$ ifconfig fxp0
> >fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >        inet 193.10.208.65 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 193.10.208.255
> >        ether 00:a0:c9:ac:e7:75
> >        media: autoselect (100baseTX) status: active
> >        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
> >10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP
> >

> >I guess I can set the switch to full-duplex, no auto-sensing, and
> >ifconfig the NIC with 'media full-duplex', right?
>
>    Actually what you want is:
>
> ifconfig fxp0 media 100basetx mediaopt full-duplex
>
>    Also be sure that the switch is configured the same and keep in mind that
> whenever you specify something other than auto for either the speed or the
> duplex that autonegotiation is completely disabled, so both sides must be
> set the same for it to work.

i just purchased one of these (intel etherexpress pro pci
10/100tx) and plan to use it in a 10 mbit ethernet network. so
i assume that i will need to make apropriate changes for 10 mb
working and i should be ok.

sorry for this almost silly question, i've had some serious
trouble with a smc pci 10/100tx (thier proprietry chipset
-9432tx something) from what i've read recently i've gone from
"bad to worse" with respect to my nic choices. i was looking
for a plugin and forget solution like the old smc etherelite
nic's used to be.

thank you for your time and sorry for the intrusion.

regards

jonathan