Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 20:35:06 +0200
From:      Buki <dev@null.cz>
To:        Mark <mhumm2@mchsi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unknown listing in dmesg

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 06:28:41AM -0500, Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although not cut and pasted into this email, I imaging this is a well
> known item.  Near the top of my dmesg output, I see several 2 line
> enties about the system's attempt to start several two character
> programs like: di, dh, si, bh, etc.  the second line of all of these
> entries is that the programs can't be run due to a syntax error or
> config problem.  It doesn't seem to be adversely affecting my system,
> but I'd still like to "fix" this.

Those are not programs, but devices, normaly present in GENERIC
kernel. As you probably built a custom kernel, those devices are
no longer present in it, thus the config cannot configure them.
It's safe to remove those entries from /boot/kernel.conf
But they do no harm, so you can as well leave them there.

Buki

> After a lot of searching, I found the offending "programs" in the file
> kern.conf.  What's the purpose of this file and what do these two
> character entries mean?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mark

PGP public key: http://dev.null.cz/buki.asc