Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:47:30 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symbolic link to webstats

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 02:44:39PM -0600, Grant Cooper wrote:
> Hi, I would like to create a symbolic link to my /var/logs/<apache_stats>.
> Is there a right way to do. I was just going to use the symbolic link
> command but I've never done this before.  I want my users to be able to
> download there stats whenever they like.

That's quite reasonable, but remember you need:

    Options FollowSymLinks

in the appropriate section of your httpd.conf.  Be slightly careful
about using this: if your users have write access to the document
root, they can trivially easily create symlinks and download any file
from the system that the webserver's UID can access.  That may or may
not be a concern for you: usually the webserver has no better access
than a general login account.

> If anyone has a better solution I would like to here about it.

An alternative is to use apache's Alias mechanism:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html#alias

Something like:

    Alias  /logfile  /var/logs/apache_logfile

which means your users can get the logging data by going to a URL
http://your.server.com/logfile

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way