Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:22:31 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Igor Shulgin <igorsh@garural.chel.su>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, FreeBSD-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Running old program on 3.0-RELEASE

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Igor Shulgin wrote:

> Is it mistake in file rc.conf (I did not modify it before) or my system is
> incorrectly configuring?

If you're updating your system to 3.0 from 2.1, you will have MANY MANY
outdated files in /etc. The system is not likely to work properly unless you
update these - the problems with old a.out libraries is one of them.

Check out /usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster for a very handy way to manage this
merge process (which should be run each time you update the system through
'make world' or a binary update). However, there may be so many changes from
your 2.1 /etc that it's more practical to just `mv /etc /etc.old` and install
the 3.x /etc over the top, then go through and restore passwd files and
re-add any local configuration options.

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.