Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:06:38 -0400
From:      Jay Gordon <jgordon@datapipe.com>
To:        apatewna@yahoo.gr
Cc:        Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>, "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Chris Hesselrode <Chris.Hesselrode@L33TNet.com>
Subject:   Re: Virtual Hosting Control Panel

The one I would be a bit afraid of is Plesk...

Why?

Well first the software is a huge pain if you don't have a hefty support
contract with SWSoft.

Next... they modified their install method recently.  The entire package
used to contain precompiled binaries of the basic software required such
as MySQL, Apache, etc... if you are a novice then you will run into some
issues as they have moved to a ports distributed installation method.

Finally... their ports are broken.  I spent a day trying to figure out
why Horde failed to install the database properly.  After a lengthy back
and forth with their support it was finally told that their Makefile for
two particular ports.  I had to modify manually and finally the software
installed.

Plesk has it's positives... it's pretty, it gives user end a nice
interface with options that many other panels might not.  Integration of
third party software into their install such as Miva Merchant and some
php applications make it easy for you to provide little bells and
whistles features for web hosting clients.  Also the ability to
integrate third party billing systems rather than use their HSPComplete
is there.  At one point when I was with a itty bitty hosting company we
had modernbill integrated with the creation utils of Plesk and it made
for better client management.

But the negatives are sometimes overwhelming.  Their gui-fied updating
software fails a lot and can cause serious damage that can require you
to contact their support which at time is not the quickest to respond.

The other issues mainly have to do with administration faults that have
to do with tuning specifically with qmail.  Their heavily custom install
of qmail doesn't allow for much in the way of modification to better tune.

We actually produce an in house RedHat/FreeBSD based panel called
easyADMIN which allows a lot of flexibility in administration.  Where it
may not have the same pretty look as Plesk or the other big boys (ensim,
cpanel) it makes up for in ease of administration from the web panel and
the ability to further tune and expand upon it.  If you need to upgrade
this or upgrade that, you typically can get away with it.  The only
requirement under FreeBSD right now is running it using 4.11.  We've
found 4.11 to be quite stable and reliable.  While plans for 6/7
versions are in the works we've had very few issues with 4.11's EOL
status.  Our other requirement is perl 5.8.0 as the software is
dependent on it.  With this we've seen very little client complaints...

Other things to keep in mind when choosing a control panel are...

MTA - is it going to use postfix, qmail, sendmail... which are you the
most comfortable when it comes to troubleshooting.  If you choose a
panel which absolutely requires Exim and you know nothing about it,
troubleshooting larger issues which may be costly from the support of
the vendor.  Most of these companies that are dedicated to virtual
hosting control panels rely on the support costs... you are looking at
times from 75 - 150 per hour.  If you are a person simply running 1 or 2
boxes this may be less than cost efficient.

Is it scalable?  Some control panels can allow multiple server
management from a centralized point.  This can be extremely beneficial
if your solution grows beyond just one server.

There are a ton of other factors, these are just some of my opinions.

--
Jay Gordon
Unix Systems Administrator

http://www.datapipe.com
Tel: 201.792.1918 x2402 |  Fax: 201-792-3090