Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:41:30 -0500
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   psm and xterm, 4.0-RELEASE and XFree86 3.3.6

Greetings, all.

I've scoured the mailing list archives to no avail. Apologies if I've
overlooked an obvious answer contained therein.

I've run various releases of 3.X (no PAO) on my Sony VAIO 505-TR for 9 months
with great success. I've just installed 4.0-RELEASE, and it's behaving rather
well, modulo the usual "learn the new names for the kernel config options"
sort of thing.

Except...

There is a very subtle problem with my mouse. I use the psm driver, sysmouse,
and XFree86 3.3.6. Additionally, I compile my kernel with apm, and with
options PSM_HOOKRESUME and PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND.

The mouse works great under X (XF86_SVGA server). Until I suspend and resume a
few times. At that point, I begin to observe that the "Control-" menus in my
xterms (that is, those which are accessed while holding down the Control key,
to change font size and xterm options) stop working. More specifically, the
menus are *activated* just fine--they appear with the appropriate key-mouse
combination. But as I drag the pointer down the menu, the items are not
highlighted, such that I cannot select any of them. (Makes turning on the
scrollbar impossible, argh.)

Exiting X and restarting fixes the problem.

This always happens after a few suspend/resume cycles.

The closest thing I could find in mailing list archives was a mention of
NumLock as an X modifier. This isn't my problem; I've played with NumLock
endlessly, to no avail. What's more, all other "click, hold down, drag" menus
work fine (e.g., the right-click menu in Netscape), and it's my impression
that I'd have seen the X key modifier problem in an earlier XFree86 release
than 3.3.6.

Has anyone out there seen this behavior? I suspect XFree86 3.3.6 and the 4.0
apm and psm drivers, but haven't tried to narrow it down further. I may revert
to an earlier 3.3.X X server to see if I can rule that out.

Thanks,
-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu