Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 15:13:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Phumichit Saeueng <b40phs@ku.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question

On Sun, Sep 14, 1997 at 11:41:54AM +0700, Phumichit Saeueng wrote:
> 	To freebsd-questions
> 		Sometime the power gone out. If someone change passwd
> 	before power gone out for a few time. When the system boot up
> 	again. I (root) cannot login. And Cannot doing anything. And
> 	I cannot change anything (everyone cannot login) I think I lost
> 	my password system. because the system gone down without
> 	shutdown.

Boot in single-user mode:

  Boot: -s

This doesn't need a password.  When you get the single-user prompt,
you can change it to something you know.

> 		 when I boot my machine in single mode
> 	Can I boot into my system in writeable mode in / directory??

In order to get it writeable, you must run:

# mount -u /

If it refuses, you may first need to run fsck:

# fsck -y /

> 	How can I resolve this problem without buy a new UPS.

Well, it looks like a UPS might be a good idea anyway :-)

Greg