Date:      29 Mar 2001 10:57:19 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: groupware

john@cell-works.com (John Daniel) writes:

> I have a request for groupware/calendaring software like Exchangen and I
> definitely don't want to start down that outlook/exchange path. Can
> someone suggest a groupware package.
>
> Part of the problem is I don't use calendaring so I not sure what features
> are most important.
>
> the things I have on my list( asterix means users want it)
> *shared calendar
> *ability to send out invitations to meetings to invitee from program
> check invitees calendar to find conflicts
> resource tracking( room available or is another meeting scheduled there)
> *access through any browser
> *access over web
> ssl enabled
> file sharing
> *download to palm
> easy administration or at least good support resources
> runs on freebsd

That's all?  That's just group calendar software; 'groupware'
sometimes means a lot more than that.

I have a few experiences with this sort of thing, but those
experiences aren't particularly good.  I think it's like web browsers;
they *all* suck, it's just a question of which one sucks the least for
your purposes.  I've used MeetingMaker, and it works.  I've gotten by
with ical, as well.

> I found joydesk on the freebsd site and a article about getting ocsweb
> running on freebsd at oreillynet.com.
>
> What other options are out there?

Netscape had some calendar software, and I've heard a few good things
about CorporateTime, as well, although I've never seen it.  I don't
know about platforms, though, as the backend for all the group
calendars I've ever used ran on Solaris.

There *are* a bunch more options; I'm not claiming to be an expert.