Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:17:52 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New kernel option CPU_ENABLE_SSE

--MLcyhLwX/7AHNQNx

Peter Wemm(peter@wemm.org)@2001.08.18 23:10:17 +0000:

> > > some "field-testing."  Maybe similarly appropriate would be
> > > something similar to "NO_F00F_HACK"; for example,
> > > "CPU_DISABLE_SSE" or "CPU_NO_ENABLE_SSE" (?).
> >=20
> > All of this stuff is unforgivably lame.  Tunables.  Tunables.  Dammit. =
8)
>=20
> Tunables cant compile out the support code.

just a quick note: the cpuflags in no way affect build options for
ports. the cpuflags do not affect building the source. would it make
sense for /etc/make.conf to evalute a magic cpu type such as
CPUTYPE=3Dauto or CPUTYPE=3Dlocal which throws in additional decision logic
for the ports make system.

quick example:
port graphics/png has a flag WITH_PNG_MMX which makes sense.
if we know the cpuflags from the build system we could enable it
depending on the hardware it gets compiled on (or, with a fancier
layout of the way flags are defined in a config file, generate templates
for specific standard boxes).

IMHO, this would be very convenient for package builds ;-)
at the moment i got several /etc/make.conf files i cat into place before
package building, but i got to double-check every single port...

/k

--=20
> Friends don't let friends use sendmail.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--MLcyhLwX/7AHNQNx

--MLcyhLwX/7AHNQNx--