Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 1996 23:34:15 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on VM, swap leaks

Greg Lehey writes:
>OK, to follow up on my last message, I rebooted my machine and tried
>to start emacs.  Here's what happened (this is put together from
>displays on two different xterms):

[lots of pstat's deleted]
>So, here I am, three Emacsen later, all stopped, and I have 5 MB less
>swap than before.  Can anybody else reproduce these results?

I decided to test this out. I can start both emacs and xemacs with NO
failures at all. And not one additional block of swap gets allocated.
I must in all fairness note that I already had about 16 MB of swap in
use.

This with a -current kernel made from the latest sources as of Monday.
So I didn't test against the latest pmap.c, et. al. But I wouldn't
expect this to have a negative effect.

This is on a machine with 16 MB memory and 64 MB swap.

Looks to me like you might have a bad SIMM, Greg.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
Work - gjennejohn@frt.dec.com