Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:41:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tyler McGeorge <millioncheese@yahoo.com>
To:        Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to startx

I'm just guessing on this one, never had the problem
myself, seeing how no working serial port=no serial
mouse and lack of PS/2 port means no working mouse, so
I don't have much experience with X. :P However, This
sounds like a possible permissions problem. I'm not
sure, but I think X may need to be started as root
initially. But seeing how you said you ran it
from /stand/sysinstall, this is probably not the case.
I would delete all the X packages, not sure which or
how many, but you can find out with pkg_info, which
you might want to pipe that to grep and filter out
anything that doesn't reference XF86 or something
similar. After you delete those packages, add them
again, and if possible, do it from the FTP just to
simplify things (I have packages on CD and it's a
hassle).

Hope this helps,
Ty