Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:44:18 -0400
From:      Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   quotas and setuid

Back in December '97, I opened PR kern/5285.  This was a bug wherein
a program doing setuid() apparently retained the original credential
across the setuid() call, so if, for example, a setuid-root executable
(which at that time, as I recall, was not subject to quota enforcement),
did setuid() to another UID, even if that UID was over-quota for the
filesystem, writes causing file size to grow would succeed.  I never
got any response apart from the original automailer acknowledgment.  It
has been the better part of a year, and the systems in question are now
running 2.2.7, so I decided to try the experiment again (sending email to
a user whose UID is overquota for the mail spool filesystem).  Whereas
originally, the mail would be appended to the POP mailbox with no error,
it now is being bounced with a "quota exceeded" message.  I groveled thru
some of the quota-related code (particularly that in the setuid() and exec
code, and it does now seem to be changing the credential information).
Can any of the developers clarify the status of this?  If this has in fact
been fixed, it was not presumably in response to my PR, else that would not
have been left open.  In such case, presumably whoever confirms this could
then close kern-5285.