Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 2014 22:13:33 -0700
From:      John Terrell <john.terrell@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs-send/receive between FreeBSD10 and SmartOS (Illumos) fails.

Ok, I=92ve confirmed this isn=92t a true ZFS send/receive issue - it is, =
in fact, an environment issue here.   There=92s a switch in my =
environment that a few times a day goes put to lunch (disconnects) for =
5-10 seconds.   This disconnection was enough to trip up the =
send/receive process but not enough to disrupt the SSH session that =
initiated the transfer.  =20

Thanks for all of the help and sorry to randomize the discussion.

On Oct 1, 2014, at 6:57 AM, John Terrell <john.terrell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eureka!   I think I=92ve found the issue and it=92s nothing to do with =
ZFS - it=92s an infrastructure problem.   I was running another test =
last night and just happened to be watching about two hours into the =
test when the Mac I use to connect to the network suddenly (and =
unexpectedly) lost connectivity for about five seconds.   When it came =
back, the SSH connection was intact but the ZFS transfer in progress =
immediately failed.   I=92m not sure if this is a DHCP lease =
re-aquisition or what but to see if this is indeed the problem, I gave =
the Mac a manual IP address and started the transfer over night.   As of =
now, it=92s been running for about 7 hours without issue.  I=92m not =
quite ready to call it solved until this transfer completes successfully =
but this is the furthest it=92s gotten.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19754375/why-does-zsh-send-fail-midway
command and output (run from the SmartOS box):
zones/tank@daily20140920
zones/tank/photography@daily20140920
metadata that might help diagnose the problem.
that lives on my FreeBSD 10 NAS to a SmartOS (Illumos based) server.   =
The transfer dies at about the 1.7TB (of almost 4TB) mark indicating:
receiver is trying to do.    Here's the command I'm using to transfer =
(executed on the SmartOS machine):
(removing SSH from the equation) and it has the same result.
ZFS implementations?