Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:34:54 -0000
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SiI3112 SATA controller problems - status

I have now found a way to reproduce the DMA problems some setups seems
to be having with the SiI3112A SATA chip.

Now, if I use real SATA drives, (and I mean real SATA drives, the
WD Raptor fx is not a real SATA device but just a PATA device
with a build in PATA->SATA converter chip) it works just fine
no matter what I try.

If however I use an older PATA drive and a certain PATA->SATA "dongle"
(in this case 1 out of 4 samples) I can reproduce the problem pretty
easily.

This suggests to me that we are looking at a timing problem of sorts
the question is where.

I'll work on the problem as time permits...

-Søren