Date:      Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:29:09 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0 NFS Installs

On 11/07/11 11:20, Sean Bruno wrote:
> I noted that we no longer have the disc1.iso in this release.  What
> should I use to populate a NFS rootfs for netinstalls?
>
> This was what I had been using(8.2-RELEASE) to populate NFS roots for
> netinstalls.  This allowed you to boot up into something that was
> self-contained.
>
> The other ISO's seem to have A LOT more stuff with symlinks pointing to
> absolute paths all over the f/s. This isn't quite as simple to copy over
> to a rootfs to use as a NFS target for booting.

You can just copy the whole CD over and it will work fine. The CD is
basically a vanilla installed system, so you can also just set up an
install somewhere (with bsdinstall jail /path/to/nfsroot, for instance).

Things on the CD different from a vanilla system:
- /etc/rc.local script to start the installer at boot
   (copied from /usr/src/release/rc.local)
- Distfiles copied to /usr/freebsd-dist

If you don't copy the distfiles, bsdinstall will automatically download
them, but you probably don't want to do that every time.
-Nathan