Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:16:13 +1000
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen" <ncbp@bank-pedersen.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jesper@skriver.dk
Subject:   Re: Can one do a striped volume with mirrored plexes

On Thursday, 30 March 2000 at 16:55:35 +0200, Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 3 Kingston DS-500 chassis' connected to 3 Tekram controllers,
> and I want to create one volume/filesystem that must be resilient to
> disk failure, chassis failure and controller failure.
>
> In vinum(8) it says that I can create a mirrored volume with two
> striped plexes, but that would only give me resilience against disk
> failure, so what I was thinking of was something like this:
>
> Chassis		disks		controller
>
> A	0 1 3 4 6 7 9 a x	I
> B	0 2 3 5 6 8 9 b x	II
> C	1 2 4 5 7 8 a b x	III
>
>  - where each number, 0-b (x being spare disks), represents a small
> mirror of 2 disks, and then all mirrors should be striped together
> to form one volume.
>
> With the above setup I believe I will have resilience
> against all "single-unit failures" - be it disk, chassis or
> controller, but I dont see any way to configure this with
> vinum.

Hmm.  If I understand what you want here, this would do it:

drive 0A device /dev/chassisA/drive0
drive 1A device /dev/chassisA/drive1
drive 2A device /dev/chassisA/drive2
drive 3A device /dev/chassisA/drive3
drive 4A device /dev/chassisA/drive4
drive 5A device /dev/chassisA/drive5
drive 6A device /dev/chassisA/drive6
drive 7A device /dev/chassisA/drive7
drive 8A device /dev/chassisA/drive8
drive 0B device /dev/chassisB/drive0
drive 1B device /dev/chassisB/drive1
drive 2B device /dev/chassisB/drive2
drive 3B device /dev/chassisB/drive3
drive 4B device /dev/chassisB/drive4
drive 5B device /dev/chassisB/drive5
drive 6B device /dev/chassisB/drive6
drive 7B device /dev/chassisB/drive7
drive 8B device /dev/chassisB/drive8
drive 0C device /dev/chassisC/drive0
drive 1C device /dev/chassisC/drive1
drive 2C device /dev/chassisC/drive2
drive 3C device /dev/chassisC/drive3
drive 4C device /dev/chassisC/drive4
drive 5C device /dev/chassisC/drive5
drive 6C device /dev/chassisC/drive6
drive 7C device /dev/chassisC/drive7
drive 8C device /dev/chassisC/drive8
volume 0
  plex org striped 512k
    sd len 0b drive 0A
    sd len 0b drive 0B
volume 1
  plex org striped 512k
    sd len 0b drive 0C
    sd len 0b drive 1A

(etc).

> I guess I can run vinum on top of vinum, but I don't know how well
> that would perform, so has anyone tried something similar, or has
> suggestions as to how to achieve both the resilience from mirroring
> and the performance from striping with a setup like this?

That way madness lies.

Greg