Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:57:57 -0500
From:      "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        rick-freebsd2008@kiwi-computer.com
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: eclipse-cdt debugging doesn't work on FreeBSD 7.0 amd64?

Rick C. Petty wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 07:51:00AM -0500, Stephane E. Potvin wrote:
>> You might want to try eclipse-devel (ganymede) with cdt installed via
>> Eclipse update (not via ports). Make sure you select the "Linux
>> Toolchain" when creating your project and debugging should work fine.
>> Bug me if something doesn't work.
>
> Unlike the original poster, I'm on FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE for i386.
>
> I've been using ganymede and CDT 5.0.1 via the update site
> (http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/ganymede/) and was able to
> get debugging to work, eventually.  It was painful to set up and I don't
> recall my exact steps.  I did use the "Other Toolchain" instead of Linux
> Toolchain, but that shouldn't make a difference, right?

It depends, If you want to use a managed Makefile project then you'll
have to select a valid Toolchain (Linux being the one closest to us, so
the more likely to work out of the box). If you provide your own
Makefile then it should not make much of a difference as Eclipse won't
control how the compiler/linker will be called anyway.

> Here are the two things that don't seem to be working correctly for me:
>
> - Program I/O does not appear in the console, even though a console is
> allocated when the program starts.  I am able to step through code but
> nothing appears in the console, even if I use fflush().  Online
> investigation revealed few secrets.

stdout and stdin should both work fine. stderr will not work with the
stock cdt plugin. The pty allocation functions are not the same between
Linux and FreeBSD and as such don't really work with the Linux plugin.
The cdt plugin will need to be ported for this to work correctly. Could
you provide me with a small Eclipse project that reproduce this?

> - Auto-build does not work as expected.  Sometimes when I save files, it
> will run a "make build" (I gave it the "build" target for incremental
> builds).  Othertimes (more often than not), it fails to do anything when I
> save changes.  I had to disable the auto-build for this project and I have
> to manually build the project, of which I often forget to do.

Hmm... I never enable this function as I don't want a full
buildworld/buildkernel to kick in each time I save a file so I can't
comment. I'll try to setup a small project and see if I can find something.

> ***  My installed software  ***
>
> FreeBSD Eclipse SDK 3.4.1.1 (build id: M20080911-1700)
> CDT GNU Toolchain Build Support 5.0.1.200809120802
> CDT GNU Toolchain Debug Support 5.0.1.200809120802
> Eclipse C/C++++ Development Tools 5.0.1.200809120802
> LR Parser 5.0.1.200809120802
>
> -- Rick C. Petty

Steph