Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:52:29 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        softweyr@xmission.com
Cc:        cmott@srv.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL

> > I have seen a number of back handed comments towards the GNU public
> > license.  For individualistic (not particularly rational) reasons, I
> > prefer not to attach the GPL to any piece of free software I write.  What
> > is the complaint that others have with GPL?
>The major complaint is that it restricts the use of the software
>extensively.  You cannot, for instance, distribute binary-only copies of
>GPL'ed software.  Nor can you sell derivative works of GPL'ed
>software.

Point of order: You can sell derivative works of GPL'ed software, as
well as GPL'ed software itself.  Walnut Creek does so, NeXT did
(does?).

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the FSF's, my employer's, or my dog's.

Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi
sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped