Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:09:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Andreas S. Wetzel" <mickey@artcom.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to get /dev/pcaudio to work?

Hi!
---

I'm in the need of playing raw audio data through the PC-Speaker device
/dev/pcaudio. I have configured my 3.0-RELEASE system with the appropriate
kernel device line for the pca0 device. The kernel recognizes the device
at boot time, but I cannot get it to work. Is there any documentation
about the pca kernel driver? I could not find any manpages or else.
Another thing that made me wonder is that there is a kernel driver
but no userland program which enables me to play sounds using this device.
In the absence of such a program I wrote a little program by myself which
tries to output raw audio data to /dev/pcaudio using write(2), but all I
get is a "Bad file descriptor" error code from the write(2) call. What am
I doing wrong, or is this driver not functioning at all ?

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Mickey

--
          (__)